According to archaeological studies, the area near the Volcan Baru was the place of the first agricultural societies and chiefdoms, dating from 300 BC C. and 600 d. C. In several petroglyphs located Caldera attesting to the presence of these villages in the region. Mr. Roberto Baru Sair , conosido as the first man to know the Baru Volcano, is an important figure in Panama / Chiriqui so the volcano was named in his honor. During the Spanish colonization in America, the District of Boquete, along with the rest of the Highlands is almost isolated because of the topography of the area, and is used as a refuge by the indigenous Ngobe the Midwest and the Miskito area Central Caribbean.Not until the second half of the nineteenth century, when it begins to colonize the region of Boquete, with people from the districts of Gualaca, Bugaba and David and a small community of European immigrants and Americans who started growing coffee, vegetables and livestock. This immigration influenced the architectural aesthetics of households in the district. In 1907, the area consisted of several villages: Lino, Bajo Boquete, Quiel, Bass Monkey, Los Naranjos, Jaramillo and Palos Bobos (now Palmyra) and formed part of the district of David. However, the remoteness and poor communication between the City of David and the towns of Boquete, resulted in the inhabitants of the area requested the formation of a district itself. With the enactment of Law 20 of 17 January 1911, formally established as a district of Boquete in Chiriqui Province.As a necessary condition to form the district, dominica said the village of Caldera and the village of the French. Initially, the district capital was located in the village of Flax, inhabited as many people and had some facilities . However, the inhabitants of the district made a request for transfer of capital to the town of Bajo Boquete, due to its topographical nature and its central location in the district. Although the change was made unofficially, did not become effective until the promulgation of Act 103 of 1941. In 1950 he begins to celebrate the Festival del Caf , was performed intermittently by the community with the aim of highlighting the main agricultural produce of the district. On 9 April 1970, severe flooding occurs causing heavy damage to property (one in three inhabitants of the district was concerned) and the death of eight people.With this event, the fair is decided to suspend until the following year, began a process of rapid recovery in the area, and in 1973 became Coffee Festival at the Feria de Las Flores and Coffee. Until 1998, the district had three corregimientos: Bajo Boquete, Caldera and Palmira. In that year he decided to create the districts of Alto Boquete, Jaramillo and Los Naranjos.