Archive for June, 2010

The pilgrimage of

The pilgrimage of his remains was buried Hern n Cort s repeatedly. The cause of the transfer of his remains lie in the fact that in their wills changed in more than one occasion the location of where he wanted to rest for eternity. When residing in New Spain, first asked to be buried in the Church of Jesus next to the hospital, hospital that the conqueror had founded, later declared their desire to be buried in a monastery he had ordered built in Coyoacan, a town adjacent to the capital Mexican monastery that was never built because they had to go to Spain to face an impeachment trial that followed.In Spain and tired and sick in mid-October, 1547, changed his will to indicate who should be buried in the parish where his death. His death resulted in Spain it was first buried in the monastery of San Isidoro del Campo, Santiponce (Sevilla), in the family crypt of the Duke of Medina Sidonia on the steps of the altar with an epitaph which he dedicated his son, Martin Cort s, Marques del Valle seconds. The epitaph which he dedicated his son said: Father whose fate improperly value this low world had enriched our age, now rests in peace, eternally Epitaph of Hernan Cortes in the monastery of San Isidoro del Campo (dedicated by his son, Martin Cortes. In 1550 to three years of his death, his remains were moved around within the same church, and this time it was buried right next to the shrine dedicated to Santa Catalina.For 19 years his remains had lain in the monastery of San Isidoro in 1566 until his remains were brought to New Spain and buried along with her mother and a daughter in the temple of San Francisco de Texcoco, located in the town of Texcoco near Mexico City. His remains would lie there until 1629. In 1629 the death of Don Pedro Cortes, Marques del Valle fourth and last descendant of Hern n Cort s in the male line, civil and ecclesiastical authorities of the Spanish colony decided to bury them in the same church, so the remains were buried near Cortez altar (in a niche behind the tabernacle) in the church of the convent of San Francisco, located across from the Plaza de Santo Domingo in Mexico City, where they cut the following inscription “Cortes ferdinandi Servatur ossa hic famous.”In 1716 a renovation of the temple of San Francisco forced the Franciscans to exhume the remains and move them to the back of the altarpiece, where they remain for 78 years. In 1794 the colonial authorities exhumed the remains of Cortes again in order to comply with the wishes of the conqueror of Mexico who once asked to be buried in the church next to the Hospital of Jesus, so we took the bones of the temple Cortes San Francisco lay in its niche in a box of wood and glass with silver handles and painted with the head of the coffin coat of arms of the Marquis of Oaxaca, his remains were transferred with great pomp to what is believed to be their final resting place, silver candlesticks were placed on the tomb and inside the temple was erected on a plinth base and a bust of the conqueror, in this place his remains would rest for 23 years.In 1823, two years after independence from Mexico began the memorial to honor the dead insurgents during the War of Independence, the remains of them were taken to Mexico City in whose cathedral were laid, a great nationalist movement arose between the inhabitants of the Mexican capital to the extent that it was feared that a mob assaulted the temple to take the remains of Cortes, so the Mexican minister Alaman and dismantled Hospital chaplain the night of 15 September, the mausoleum, while the bust and other ornaments were sent to Italy for the agitators who believe the remains of Cortes had left the country, in reality the urn with the bones was hidden under the floorboards of the church of Jesus Hospital for thirteen years the remains were kept hiding there.In 1836, calm the passions and the remains were removed and deposited in a niche that was built on the temple wall next to the mausoleum where he was in the remains rested there for 110 years to be found. Alaman Minister at some point informed the Spanish Embassy of the place in which they had deposited the remains of Cortes. Tomb of Hernan Cortes in the Temple of the Hospital of Jesus in 1946, some historians of the College of Mexico had access to the affidavit in which he detailed the final resting place of Cortes and tried to find the remains on Sunday 24 November of that year historians found the niche that kept the urn, after conducting some studies to authenticate the bones came to restore the urn and recommended preserving the remains of Hern n Cort s in the same place.On November 28, 1946 the President of Mexico issued a decree which gave the National Institute of Anthropology and History custody of the remains of Hern n Cort s. On July 9, 1947 reinhumaron remains in the same place where they were found and put on the wall of the church a bronze plaque with the coat of arms of Cortes and the inscription engraved: 1485-1547 When Hernan Cortes Finally, the remains of Spanish conquistador rest in the place he chose in his youth to be buried.